Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Certficed Aging in Place Adaptive Living

Before you Renovate your home ...

Keep in mind that when you hire a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist, you are buying a service rather than a product. A CAPS professional draws from a different knowledge base and will approach your project in a different way. No matter where you start in the process, you will eventually need to hire a licensed & insured professional remodeler to actually make the modifications to your home.

How Should You Modify Your Home To Make It More Comfortable?

To age-in-place you will probably need to modify your house as you mature to increase access and maneuverability. These modifications range from the installation of bath and shower grab bars adjustment of counter top heights, to the creation of multifunctional first floor master suites and the installation of private elevators
  • “No-step” entrance and exit
  • Exterior and interior doorways wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair or mobility scooter
  • Unobstructed kitchen and living area.
  • Bathroom equipped with a walk-in bath tub with extra wide door (MediTub Model 3060 measures 30”x60”x42” and specify right or left hinged door). A shower may be required with a “no-lip” wheelchair roll-in
  • Bathroom may require a lower height toilet and grab bars suggested
  • Bathroom vanities with pull out drawers
  • Non-slip flooring in bathroom, kitchen and laundry area.
  • Lever handles on all doors and on all faucets.
  • Lower level light switches and lower level thermostat.
  • Hallway hand railing as applicable.
  • Transition strips between different floor materials.
  • Higher intensity lighting (variable intensity control) in kitchen, bathroom, living room/area, and also at exterior to front door and other exit door
  • Front loading washer and dryer… dishwashers are already front loaders
  • Variable level kitchen counter tops and cabinets with pull-out drawers
  • Microwave and tea/coffee station at lower level.
  • Fridge/freezer preferably with pull-out drawers if available
  • Stove top with controls on front or side
  • Interior or exterior flower planters may be lower or higher than “standard” depending on occupier’s preference and needs
  • Entrance and exit may require an “easy-grade” ramp
  • If house on a flood-zone raised foundation = probable need for an exterior chair step-lift (www.handicareusacom )
  • Exterior walkways around house non-slip with handrailing as needed.
  • If deck is provided then access doors from interior hinged not a slider.
  • Windows may need to be hinged with easy-open & close handles.
Contact Toby Wessel, our Certified Aging in Place Specialist, for your renovation needs.